Sign Off, May 2010
Kantar Media recently released a study on advertising expenditures, noting a fall of 12.3 percent in 2009 to $125.3 billion. Fourth quarter 2009 ad spending was off 6 percent against 2008, with nearly all media improving upon their January-September performance. Jon Swallen, SVP Research at Kantar Media said, "Given the restraint in consumer spending, it appears marketers have more confidence right now than their customers. As we get deeper into 2010, the pace of consumer activity will be a key determinant of the strength and durability of the advertising recovery."
Amount spent on measured media by the top 10 advertisers of 2009, which was just 0.9 percent lower compared to their 2008 outlays.
Behind the stat
Percent Change in Measured Ad Spending 2008 vs. 2009
Increase in Internet display advertising expenditures in 2009.
Increase in Wal-Mart's 2009 advertising budget behind the launch of its "Save Money, Live Better" campaign.
Increase in Pfizer spending as the company boosted marketing support for Lipitor ahead of the brand's 2011 patent expiration.
Amount Sprint Nextel hiked its expenditures, battling for market share against its larger wireless rivals.
Top 10 Advertising Categories:
Jan-Dec 2009 vs. Jan-Dec 20082
|Rank||Category||Jan-Dec 2009 (Millions)||Jan-Dec 2008 (Millions)||% Change|
|7||Food & Candy||$6,261.0||$6,046.8||3.5%|
|9||Personal Care Products||$5,538.9||$6,026.6||-8.1%|
2. Figures do not include free standing insert or PSA activity.
3. Miscellaneous Retail does not include: department stores, home furnishing/building supply stores.
4. The sum of the individual categories may differ from the total due to rounding.
Acceptable Use Policy blog comments powered by Disqus
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Today in Radio History
The history of radio broadcasting extends beyond the work of a few famous inventors.
Read each issue online in our Digital Edition Format in your Web browser.
EAS Information More on EAS
The feed provides feeds for all US states and territories.
Need a calendar for your computer desktop? Use one of ours.
Information from manufacturers and associations about industry news, products, technology and business announcements.
A cutting-edge radio and TV broadcast media center brings hope and entertainment to a sixth pediatric hospital.
Browse Back Issues[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Also in the December Issue
- IP Audio Begins Interoperability Journey
- New Tower Construction Update Mainly for the Birds
- The FCC has been busy since the government shutdown in October 2013.
- Applied Technology: HD Voice
- Field Report: iZotope RX3 Advanced
- Side by Side: Portable Recorders
- New Life for Legacy Equipment
- Do You Remember? Gifts of Holidays Past