Most Popular Articles
Bavaria Radio: DAB+ is Only Economical Terrestrial Radio Over Next Decade
Munich - Mar 11, 2014 - A report commissioned by the Bavarian Regulator for Commercial Broadcasting and Bavaria radio was presented during the "Radio is Digital" event taking place in Munich in March 2014. The report, authored by Professor Dr. Gunther Friedl of the Technical University of Munich, concludes that over the next 10 to 15 years DAB+ will be the only economically feasible means of terrestrial radio.
In the study, DAB+ was compared to LTE. Currently, about 75 percent of radio usage in Bavaria is on stationary devices, and the other 25 percent on mobile devices. That amount of mobile usage accounts for 133,231TB of data; if that amount of data were to be transmitted over the LTE network, a cost of €617 million would be incurred annually. In the case of eMBMS (evolved Multimedia Broadcast Multicast service) the cost would come down to about €552 million. The cost of DAB+ transmission, on the other hand, is about €15.5 million Euros annually. Therefore, the report concludes that the cost of LTE transmission is about 40 times that of DAB+ (for the equivalent amount of data) and that DAB+ is the only sensible way to maintain terrestrial radio in Bavaria.
Acceptable Use Policy blog comments powered by Disqus
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Today in Radio History
The history of radio broadcasting extends beyond the work of a few famous inventors.
Read each issue online in our Digital Edition Format in your Web browser.
EAS Information More on EAS
The feed provides feeds for all US states and territories.
Need a calendar for your computer desktop? Use one of ours.
Information from manufacturers and associations about industry news, products, technology and business announcements.
When Northern Community Radio set out to build a new community radio station in rural northern Minnesota 38 years ago, naysayers said that it would be broadcasting “only to a bunch of gophers
Browse Back Issues[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Also in the July Issue
- Trends in Technology: Robust IP STL
- LPFM on The March
- RF Engineering: Modern Modulation Techniques
- Field Report: Tascam TH-2000 Headphones
- Battery Maintenance: Testing and Charging