Most Popular Articles
FCC Issues EAS Advisory Following Bogus Activation
Washington - Feb 12, 2013 - Following the falsified EAS message about zombies being distributed in various parts of the country, the FCC has issued an advisory for stations to prevent such an event from happening again.
Urgent Advisory: Immediate actions to be taken regarding CAP EAS device security.
All EAS Participants are required to take immediate action to secure their CAP EAS equipment, including resetting passwords, and ensuring CAP EAS equipment is secured behind properly configured firewalls and other defensive measures. All CAP EAS equipment manufacturer models are included in this advisory.
All broadcast and cable EAS participants are urged to take the following actions immediately.
1. EAS participants must change all passwords on their CAP EAS equipment from default factory settings, including administrator and user accounts.
2. EAS participants are also urged to ensure that their firewalls and other solutions are properly configured and up-to-date.
3. EAS participants are further advised to examine their CAP EAS equipment to ensure that no unauthorized alerts or messages have been set (queued) for future transmission.
4. If you are unable to reset the default passwords on your equipment, you may consider disconnecting your device's Ethernet connection until those settings have been updated.
5. EAS participants that have questions about securing their equipment should consult their equipment manufacturer.
Acceptable Use Policy blog comments powered by Disqus
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Today in Radio History
The history of radio broadcasting extends beyond the work of a few famous inventors.
Read each issue online in our Digital Edition Format in your Web browser.
EAS Information More on EAS
The feed provides feeds for all US states and territories.
Need a calendar for your computer desktop? Use one of ours.
Information from manufacturers and associations about industry news, products, technology and business announcements.
Browse Back Issues[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Also in the March Issue
- The "And More" of Automation
- FCC Enforcement Items to Watch
- Testing AM Antennas
- New Products
- Field Report: Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter CL-1
- New Products at the 2014 NAB Show
- Side by Side: IP Codecs