Most Popular Articles
Congressmen Urge FCC: Include HD Radio and Ipods with Satellite Radio Merger
Washington - May 2, 2008 - Representatives John D. Dingell (MI), chairman of the House Commerce Committee, and Ed Markey (MA), chairman of the Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet, sent a letter to FCC Chairman Kevin Martin urging the commission to impose certain requirements on the satellite radio merger proposal is if is approved. The key points of the letter:
- Any electronic device manufacturer should be able to develop equipment that can deliver the satellite radio service;
- Device manufacturers should be permitted to incorporate in satellite radio receivers any other technology that would not result in harmful interference with the merged company's network, including HD Radio, Ipod ports, Internet connectivity or other technology;
- The new satellite radio company should honor the price options, including a la carte pricing, that they originally proposed.
According to the letter: It would be contrary to the public interest to permit the merged company to bar HD Radio capability or Ipod compatibility from being included in a new satellite radio receiver.
The letter also notes that the two congressmen not taking a position on whether the agency should approve or deny the merger, but only including the requirements if it is approved.
Acceptable Use Policy blog comments powered by Disqus
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Today in Radio History
The history of radio broadcasting extends beyond the work of a few famous inventors.
EAS Information More on EAS
The feed provides feeds for all US states and territories.
Need a calendar for your computer desktop? Use one of ours.
Information from manufacturers and associations about industry news, products, technology and business announcements.
When Northern Community Radio set out to build a new community radio station in rural northern Minnesota 38 years ago, naysayers said that it would be broadcasting “only to a bunch of gophers
Browse Back Issues[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Also in the July Issue
- Trends in Technology: Robust IP STL
- LPFM on The March
- RF Engineering: Modern Modulation Techniques
- Field Report: Tascam TH-2000 Headphones
- Battery Maintenance: Testing and Charging